Reasons for the feeling

In interpreting early memories, I have looked at the most vivid moment, the feelings at that moment, and the reasons for the feelings. I have found the reasons for the feelings are most useful as they provide a clearer picture of the most salient aspects of the memories. Have you used this as well?
I learned this from Robin Gushurst. Has anyone known of Robin's work?
Hi, It would seem useful to think of the goal the feeling may serve, rather than its reason. While the most vivid detail helps us pinpoint the challenging issue the memory deals with, the feeling helps us understand one's attitude toward this issue. It may also indicate whether the metaphorical challenging situation in the memory/narrative is something to approach or avoid - depending on one's goal. For instance, let's assume that the most vivid moment in a memory is how I almost got killed crossing the road on my own on the way back home from the kindergarten. In this case, if the accompanying feeling is "extremely fearful", it may indicate that the goal this feeling is promoting is for me never to forget to be extremely cautious whenever I'm on my own on the road, or even to avoid independent movement altogether. However, if the feeling is "wonderfully thrilled", then it may promote a goal of gaining self-worth by means of always taking chances and being on the edge. Gissi
Gissi, I agree that emotions have a purpose or goal attached. I think the reason for the feeling puts the goal in the language of the client. When I have used that language, I find that clients are quite open to interpretations of the purpose of the emotions.